Amalfi's History
 

Our Mission

To provide an exciting and memorable dining experience through great tasting Italian cuisine, exceptional service, and a fun relaxing atmosphere. To be a giving member of the Portland community and to use our restaurant to enrich the northeast Beaumont neighborhood.

 

Our Story

Amalfi's was founded in 1959 by Jack and Diane Baker as a sister restaurant to "Caro Amico", the first Italian Restaurant to serve pizza in the Portland area. Jack's father, Fred Baker, started the Caro Amico in 1949.

In the early years, Amalfi's was known as "The Pizza House" and was located at 4633 NE Fremont. Seating only 15-20 people, its main focus of business was carry-out. In 1962 it then moved across the street and took the name Amalfi's Italian Restaurant. Expanding their seating capacity greatly as well as adding a bar.

Jack and Diane had five children who grew up with the restaurant and helped out working from time to time. Their middle son, Fred "King" Baker, showed a little more interest by taking a full-time position. In 1980 Jack and Diane turned over daily operations of the restaurant to their son Fred. Fred's main focus was to continue the restaurant's growth all the while continue his father & grandfather's business philosophy of Excellence and Consistency. After substantially growing and improving Amalfi's Italian Restaurant for nearly 30 years, he has recently retired (2005). His oldest daughter, Kiauna Floyd, is now third generation of owners. Kiauna started working at Amalfi's at an early age while attending Grant High School. She has always had a passion for the hospitality & restaurant industry. She is active within the Oregon Restaurant Association and currently serves as a board member.

With nearly 50 years in business, Amalfi's has been recognized as an institution to the city of Portland. From 1959 seating roughly 15-20 people to currently seating 250 people Amalfi's has sustained a successful reputation for excellent food and courteous service. Additionally, Amalfi's has been voted "Best Pizza" in the Portland Metropolitan area.

A Promise to our Patrons
We still and will always use our original recipes and only the finest ingredients that Jack and Diane started with in 1959.